If only upgrading your garage was as easy as upgrading your vehicle; go shopping at a garage lot, pick out the size garage you want, and haul it home all ready to go! There may not be a garage factory in St. Paul, but there are many resources available to help you plan building or expanding your garage.
Two of the best resources we found for information on St. Paul garage sizing and zoning codes are:
Saint Paul Building Page – *information taken directly from website
- Concrete slab shall be a minimum of 3 1/2″ thick with the perimeter of the slab 8″ thick, and 6″ wide poured in a monolithic manner. The garage floor area used for vehicular parking must be sloped to provide drainage toward the vehicle entry doorway or to a drainage system approved by this Office
- Roof trusses, when used, shall be engineered and pre-manufactured.
- Garage walls and eave projections closer than 5 feet to an interior property line must be of 1-hour fire-resistive construction with exposure from both sides. Eaves are not allowed closer than 2 feet to the line.
Western Construction, Inc. – *information taken directly from website
- 1,000 square feet is the maximum square footage a garage can be. However a detached garage can not take up more than 35% of the rear yard. You measure from the back of the house to the rear property line multiply that measurement by the width and divide by 35%. Lots that adjoin alleys may include 1/2 the width of the alley into the total rear yard square footage.
- In any St Paul residential neighborhood, detached garages shall not exceed 15′ in height. (15′ height measured from average grade to midpoint of peak and eave.)
- 12′ for garages with flat/shed roofs measured from average grade to midpoint of peak and eave.
- Garage sizes: http://www.westernconstructioninc.com/garages/garage-sizes
- Garage Styles: http://www.westernconstructioninc.com/garages/garages-and-garage-styles
- Basic styles and Free plans: http://www.westernconstructioninc.com/garages/3-classic-garage-styles
There are many more specific criteria that we have not listed here, and calling a representative at the city of St. Paul Building Division, Western Construction, Inc., or the contracting company of your choice may be bring the best clarity on these specific regulations.
Expanding your garage is a wonderful addition to your property to contain your hobbies such as:
- Jet skis, snow mobiles, boats
- Home Office
Whether your dream garage is for hobbies or for storage, don’t be afraid to put this dream into action!
All pictures are from Western Constructions, Inc. website. We do not own the rights to any of these illustrations or pictures.